Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's Your Birthday, It's Your Birthday...

Photobucket

Today I tack on another year. Funny how we don't get as excited as we used to. Wonder why???

Spent the night with my mommy two days ago and had my favorite childhood birthday meal. That was enough to get me through another year. You absolutely won't believe what it is - go ahead and try to guess. I GUARANTEE you won't. It's too...well...special.

When I and my three siblings were growing up we asked for one thing on our birthdays - food-wise. Was it steak? No. Was it pizza? No. Get ready....


Here goes...


Pinto beans with raw onions on top...


REALLY stewed potatoes, mashed up with the potato gravy* poured over the top...


Sauerkraut and...


Wieners, cooked together.


There. I've just shared a deep, dark family secret with my - hold on - 22 followers and only God knows who else (probably nobody).


Go ahead and laugh. It's comfort food, food for the soul, soul food...maybe. Either way, we still love our annual culinary treat.


What's your favorite birthday meal? Bet you can't top mine!

*For those of you who were puzzled by "potato gravy", it's simply the starchy liquid that the potatoes are cooked in. I call it potato gravy. Sue me.


8 comments:

debi said...

I could never come close to topping your favorite meal, but I am MUCH older than you and I say bring them on!! Love the presents,LOL.! enjoy the birthdays, lose the numbers!(soon you won't remember them anyway) Happy, Happy birthday to you!!

Jennifer Juniper said...

My fave birthday meal was always "Hamburger Casserole" I looked at the recipe the other day and couldn't believe what was in it!

Ok, get this, it's a can of tomato soup, browned hamburger, a can of green beans, a can of corn, and diced potatoes, with mashed potatoes on top and all baked in the oven. I believe today it would be called something like "Garbage Can Casserole" or something of that nature :(

Jennifer Juniper said...

Oh, and I've never heard of potato gravy!

Vodka Mom said...

you crack me UP.


i laughed out loud (my-wait a minute- 22 followers.)

A Mom With A View said...

hey there...mmmmm thats sound so good...!!I like all food so its sounds great to me...Im a followin..Oh and Happy Birthday..!!

Holly said...

Happy birthday! We never did a favorite birthday dinner thing....but if we did, mine would be loose hamburger mixed with mashed potatoes. N-u-m-m-y!

And isn't birthday dinner supposed to be about comfort food anyway? 'Cuz lordy knows, these birthdays ain't comfortable!

Sue Jackson said...

Ew...good thing you explained potato gravy! Hmmm...I don't know what my favorite childhood meal was, but my mom is a really good cook - nothing fancy but just good.

I've been having so much fun catching up on your blog that I forgot to watch OUR dinner and the Cheddar Broccoli Ham Pot Pie just boiled over and totally messed up my already filthy oven. Yuck. Guess I better go for now -

Sue

Bohemian Single Mom said...

omg - too freakin' hilarious!!!

You're right - I can't top that. Not with my boring traditional chocolate cake, choc. frosting and vanilla ice-cream.

believe it or not...

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP