Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Serious Comfort

Okay, so yesterday it was rainy and soggy in Atlanta - again. Being the fabulous culinary master that I am, I decided to make a pot of soup, my favorite one-dish-wonder comfort food.

A little history first. Smart Ass, being the difficult child that she is, has something called celiac disease. Oh NOOO, we couldn't be a normal family. That would make things too easy and boring. Anyway, she can't eat gluten so this recipe is gluten-free. Don't freak, just change the flour to regular all-purpose and the broth to regular chicken or vegetable broth.

I must say, it was delicious and warm and terribly satisfying.

However, I have to add that...

The BS-er just can't seem to make it through a meal without offering up some sort of critique which encourages the Hermit and Smart Ass to offer their collective opinions. The first time I made this soup, I pureed the entire recipe.

BS-er said that he thought it was too creamy. The Hermit and Smart Ass concurred.

This time, in my never-ending attempt to make everyone happy, I only pureed about 2/3 of the soup and left the rest chunky. Want to know what BS-er said last night?

He wasn't too crazy about chunky broccoli. The Hermit and Smart Ass ducked their heads in shame and fear.

Anyway, here's the recipe and I'm sorry. My ingredients are always approximates. What can I say? I'm an eye-baller.

Gluten-Free Broccoli & Potato Soup

You will need:

2-3 tbs. butter

1-2 tbs. olive oil

1 onion, diced

3 potatoes, diced

(Add a few diced carrots if you'd like)

chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)

salt & pepper to taste

3 tbs. gf all-purpose flour (we use bob's red mill)

4 cups of gf chicken or vegetable broth

1/2 cup cream (either light cream or half & half)

Directions:

Combine butter & olive oil in stock pot over medium heat.

Add about 2/3 of the broccoli (keep the rest to add after pureeing if you like a few chunks), and all of the onion, carrot, potatoes, salt and pepper. Saute for, hmm... about 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color. Add stock and bring to boil.

Simmer uncovered until the vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Pour in cream. With a blender, puree about half of the soup. Add salt and pepper, to taste and ENJOY!

Of course, you may want to add a little shredded cheddar to top it off. :)

2 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Mmmm...sounds really delicious, but...I have to cook dairy-free here! You're right - it's never easy! Though I can take a little dairy once in awhile with Lact-Aid - and this doesn't call for too much - so maybe I'll still try it! Though now you're scaring me off with the critiques!

We did soup yesterday - Tortilla Chicken Soup. Yummy. And leftovers were even better tonight.

Sue

Lori said...

Hi Sue, I saw your post. I'd like a copy of the recipe as well, if you don't mind. Yeah, the critiques are a never-ending thing in my house, but take my word for it - the soup was good! I'll bet it would work with the dairy-free substitute.

believe it or not...

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP